This is a quick little salad I first heard about from a UK cooking show, River Cottage Veg Everyday. I’ve gotten several good ideas from the series and I’m looking forward to getting ahold of the companion cookbook.
This particular dish is a bit of an odditity for me for because I don’t like fruit at all and am not terribly fond of carrots on their own. Still, when I saw it on the program, it looked like a good way to use up the extra carrots I always seem to have lying around. The version as presented used cashews but I have a problem with keeping cashews around. I keep eating them! Plus I have this ginormous bag of shredded coconut I need to use up.
So here’s the version I ended up with. All of the measurements are quite loose and I generally just use whatever is at hand.
Orange carrot salad
- 2 carrots
- 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- drizzle olive oil
- big handful shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Shred the carrots, peel and roughly chop the orange. Place in a bowl and toss with the vinegar and oil.
- In a dry skillet, toast the coconut and cumin. Be careful as the line between toasted and burnt is quite fine.
- Add to the bowl and allow the coconut to absorb the dressing. Adjust seasoning to taste and serve.
Enjoy and watch the show if you get the chance.